More Boys Pulled From Flooded Cave In Thailand

More Boys Pulled From Flooded Cave In Thailand

More Boys Pulled From Flooded Cave In Thailand

The entire operation to rescue all 13 could last two to four days, depending on weather and water conditions, said army Maj.

Monday's mission began with eight boys and their 25-year-old coach still underground, all of whom have spent more than two weeks in the cave in Chiang Rai province.

Officials last week said they would bring the fittest people in the group out first, but Narongsak later said that whoever was ready first would be escorted out.

Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn said they "hope to hear good news in the next few hours". In the week since the team was found alive, expert climbers, divers and Thai Navy Seals have mulled contingencies ranging from drilling an escape route through the mountain to waiting out the monsoon season and spending months inside the cave.

Thai authorities said the parents of the four rescued boys are still being kept from physical contact with them due to fear of infections.

An eighth boy has been rescued from a flooded cave in Thailand.

Earlier, Narongsak told a news conference a team had gone into the cave to rescue the remaining boys at 11 a.m. (0400 GMT), and he expected good news.

Four more young footballers and their coach at the Mu Pa (WIld Boar) Academy Mae Sai, Ekkapol Chantawong, are still on the ledge. Each of the rescued boys has been guided through the dark winding cave by a pair of divers. Monsoon flooding blocked off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days. But the rescue was prodded into action by the threat of a fresh round of rains and falling oxygen levels in the cave.

The Thai youth soccer team and their coach became trapped in the cave they were exploring on June 23 after heavy rains flooded exits.

The soccer team had been trapped in the underground cave network since June 23, with flash floods causing water levels to rise, making it hard to get out.

There was no word on the condition of any of the people brought out on Monday.

Preparations are also under way to manage the mental health of the boys once they are all freed.

Even their mothers and fathers have been unable to visit them. The evacuation procedure calls for the boys to receive initial medical treatment there before rescuers take them through the remaining stretch of the cave to a field hospital outside, and then transport them by helicopter or ambulance to join their colleagues at the hospital.

However, many have been asking the very reasonable question of why the boys were in the cave in the first place?

The disease is caused by bat and bird droppings and can be fatal if untreated and allowed to spread to other parts of the body.

The rescue operation was launched on Sunday and four boys were brought out that day.

"We have not been told which child has been brought out".

Narongsak said that experts told him new rain could shrink the unflooded space where the boys are sheltering to just 10 square meters (108 square feet).

And Gianna Infantino, the president of Federation Internationale de Football Association, soccer's governing body, has invited the boys to the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]