Mumbai attacks anniversary draws solemn tributes and new pressure on Pakistan

Mumbai attacks anniversary draws solemn tributes and new pressure on Pakistan

Mumbai attacks anniversary draws solemn tributes and new pressure on Pakistan

Timed for the tenth anniversary of the 2008 Mumbai attack on Monday, the USA government has announced a $5 million-bounty covering all the terrorists connected with it.

In the barbaric attack unleashed on November 26, 2008 by 10 LeT fedayeen from Pakistan, 166 people, six of whom were United States nationals, were killed.

"We call upon all countries, particularly Pakistan, to uphold their UN Security Council obligations to implement sanctions against the terrorists responsible for this atrocity, including Lashkar-e-Tayyiba and its affiliates". The barbarity of 26/11 shocked the entire world.

Member of Parliament of the United Kingdom took to Twitter saying, "On the 10 year anniversary of the appalling attacks in Mumbai my thoughts are again with the families and friends of those killed and injured".

The co-ordinated attacks on the city of almost 20 million people hit luxury hotels, the main railway station, a restaurant popular with tourists and a Jewish centre.

In May 2005, the United Nations (UN) 1267 Sanctions Committee added LeT to the Consolidated UN Security Council Sanctions List.

The rewards have not worked so far and Saeed operates openly in Pakistan, leaving the effectiveness of the latest steps open to question.

Over 60 hours, four attackers shot dead guests and hotel staff, detonated explosives and set ablaze parts of the building - including its famous dome.

"The United States is committed to seeing that those responsible for this attack face justice", said Mr Pompeo while a separate statement issued by the State Department said the U.S. was also "committed to working with our global partners" to achieve this goal.

A total of 166 people died and over 300 were wounded in the strikes.

India and rest of the globe today are marking the anniversary of the horrendous and one of the deadliest 26/11 terror attacks that happened in Mumbai a decade ago in the year 2008.

Six hostages - including a rabbi and his pregnant wife - were killed at Nariman House, a Jewish cultural and religious centre.

Six Americans were among the Mumbai victims and the US State Department announced a $5 million prize for the capture of the remaining planners of the attacks.

In 2012, the Department put a bounty of $10 million on LeT founder Hafiz Mohammad Saeed and $2 million on his deputy, Hafiz Abdul Rahman Makki.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]