Rocket sirens sounded in Tel Aviv after 2 rockets fired from Gaza

Rocket sirens sounded in Tel Aviv after 2 rockets fired from Gaza

Rocket sirens sounded in Tel Aviv after 2 rockets fired from Gaza

Explosions were heard in Tel Aviv and witnesses said Iron Dome interceptor missiles were fired skyward and detonated - although the military said no rockets were shot down. Israeli sources said after the security meeting that, "decisions had been made".

The Israeli military has concluded that the militant Hamas group of Gaza fired two rockets toward the Israeli coastal city of Tel Aviv.

About 40 minutes after the alarm, traffic was flowing normally on Tel Aviv's main highway. It said that the aircraft then returned and attacked the same site 4 more times. So did Hamas, apparently, with a group's official telling Israeli media that Hamas is "not interested in an escalation" and does not know who fired the two rockets.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the rockets.

The heads of Gaza's ruling Hamas terrorist organization evacuated all of its headquarters in the enclave in anticipation of a likely military response to the attack by the Israel Defense Forces later in the evening.

In an unusual step that indicated Hamas was attempting to prevent further escalation, the Hamas Interior Ministry said the rocket fire went "against the national consensus" and promised to take action against the perpetuators.

However, that terror group also denied that it was behind the fire.

Hamas denied involvement for the rocket salvo, which it said took place as its leaders met Egyptian delegates about efforts to secure a long-term ceasefire with Israel. But he said there were no special instructions and encouraged residents to stick to their daily routines.

Tel Aviv Mayor Ron Huldai said he had ordered the city to open public air raid shelters as a protective measure. "There were reports of a number of Israelis who were treated for shock", reports The Jerusalem Post.

An Iron Dome Missile Defense battery set up in the southern Israeli city of Sderot fires an intercepting missile.

Political observers raised concerns that the rockets fired from Gaza may be used as a pretext for Israel to launch a military assault on the besieged Palestinian territory.

Among those participating were Chief-of-Staff Lt. -Gen Aviv Kochavi, National Security Council head Meir Ben-Shabbat, Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) head Nadav Argaman, and other senior security establishment officials.

But Israeli's military concluded that Hamas did fire two rockets toward Tel Aviv.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]